Summer 2014 Luxe Box

Sunday 29 June 2014

in
I came home the other day to find my Luxebox.  Now, it wasn't a total surprise as I had peaked online to see what I was getting.  To be honest, I was pretty disappointed.  There were two foil pack samples being included in my "Luxe" box.  Not cool guys-- I could have got that for free at Shoppers or Sephora.

I really do not believe a foil pack sample has a place in a box I am paying $10 for, let alone $28 that this box costs.  Let alone two!  I am strongly leaning towards cancelling this box.  I think I will hold out for a bit to see what the bonuses are for next season.  I'll probably also call to complain and see what comes of it.  I just feel cheated.  On the bright side, I will be receiving my July Ipsy Bag so if that goes well I could very well see my self dumping Luxebox for Ipsy for the next few months.  Time will tell!

In the spirit of comparing to Ipsy, let's see if this box gets a passing grade.  Remember, foil pack samples get an automatic zero.  5/7 is a passing grade.

Each box costs about $28 and comes with 7-8 deluxe sized samples.


Here is my box in all its glory?  My butter London add-on will be featured at the end.

From Left to Right

Angled Tweezers - Loose Button, Full Sized $13*
KP Duty Moisturizing Therapy - DERMAdoctor, 30 mL $10
Butterfly - Hanae Mori, 4 mL $11
Skinny Liquid Eyeliner in "Black" - Eyeko, Full Sized $19
Introductory Collection - Eslor, 20 mL total $10*
Colour Assure Sulfate-Free System - Nexxus, 19 mL total, $2*
Island Palette Eyeshadow in "Paradise Bird" - Teeze, Full Sized $19
Crest Whitening Set x 3

*It is hard to believe the $13 price on a product they make in house that isn't for sale otherwise.
*Foil pack samples = Not welcome in a "Luxe" Box
*See above


Eslor Introductory Collection

The eslor sample came with 4 skin care samples including a scrub, a cleanser, a mask, and a moisturizer.  Its really hard to tell if a foil pack of skin care product actually works.  You can tell if it makes you break out, if it smells and feels good, but you can't know if it actually gets the job done.  I'll keep these on hand for nights away, but all in all I am just disappointed. 

Nexxus Colour Assure Sulfate Free System

Last month my mini shampoo and conditioner were travel sized.  This is just crappy sized.  I'll get one use, so I won't be able to tell if it actually does anything good for my hair.  Also, no where on my profile do  I mention having coloured hair.  Because I don't.  I have never ever ever ever dyed my hair. This makes my question if they even bother read my profile at all. I guess this will be nice to hold on to if I go to the gym?

Crest Tooth Whitening Set

This comes with free mini tooth paste!  And whitening strips!  I have no complaints that this is a "foil pack" because it was a bonus free add on!  Also I love the idea of having super mini tooth paste to have on hand.


Here are the non-foil pack samples I received.  Not sure if this is worth $28 to me...

Tweezers

I tried them.  They work.  Not much more to see here.  I like the rubberized texture.



Paradise Bird

This is a pretty golden-broze-brown.  I love the idea of using this in my creese to add some depth to a look.  A nice shimmer to it, over all I like this understated colour.  It goes on creamy (for a powder).  Looking forward to having some fun with this one!



KP Duty Lotion

So, I don't even know where to go with this one.

"This DERMAdoctor cult classic contains a patented blend of Glycolic Acid, Green Tea Extract and Urea to help exfoliate, calm and hydrate. Skin feels smoother, softer and hydrated. Helps improve the appearance of parched skin and rough chicken skin bumps (like keratosis pilaris). Ideal for use year-round as a moisturizer for body, arms, legs, hands and feet. Promote skin to silky perfection…it’s your KP Duty. Because a healthy complexion isn’t limited to just your face. Dermatologist Tested & Approved"

Oddly specific about the "chicken skin bumps".  Probably great if this is an issue for you.  But its not for me.  This is a pretty strange thing to include and really not catered to my needs.  As it turns out, about 50% of people have this issue, but still...I'm sure it will be nice to keep in my purse.


Butterfly

Not a scent that I would normally pick for myself, but I am warming up to it.  It has a nice fresh feminine scent to it.  I love that it is a tiny rollerball.  This is 100% perfect for travel and weekends away.  Speaking of which, next weekend is a weekend away :)


Skinny Liquid Eyeliner in Black

I tested out the line on my hand and it was not to thin, not too thick and very, very black. Aka, perfect.  I am a big fan of my Stila pen that I use almost daily.  This pen will go in to my stock to be used when I  finish up my usual.  I don't know if I would make the jump for good, but I think this will get the job done.  It also might be good to keep at the BF's house-- one less thing to pack!

The Good:

Skinny Liquid Eyeliner in "Black" - Eyeko, Full Sized $19
Island Palette Eyeshadow in "Paradise Bird" - Teeze, Full Sized $19



The Bad:

Introductory Collection - Eslor, 20 mL total $10*
Colour Assure Sulfate-Free System - Nexxus, 19 mL total, $2*


The Meh:

Angled Tweezers - Loose Button, Full Sized $13*
KP Duty Moisturizing Therapy - DERMAdoctor, 30 mL $10
Butterfly - Hanae Mori, 4 mL $11

Score: 3.5/7

I generally like the proper samples I got, but the foil packets really ruined it for me.

FAILED THE TEST

(1 point for each good, 1/2 points for each meh, 0 for each bad)

butter London Add-On

This was about $7.  Not too shabby!



Royal Navy - butter London
Jaffa - butter London
Scrubber(s) - butter London

Both nail polishes are mini's at 6 mL.  But when was the last time you finished a polish?  I never have, so no complaints here.  Both colours are stunning!  I love how deep Royal Navy is, and Jaffa completely reminds me of my trip to Israel!  Both go on great.  I can't wait to try them with my butter London Nail Foundation when I do my next mani!

My add on was advertised to come with 2 scrubbers, alas, there was only one.  I am pretty annoyed that I paid extra for this.  It might seem like a small thing, but I paid for two, I should get two.

Given that my box was missing a product I paid for, and gave me two foil samples?  Not a fan.  I have already reached out to the company with my concerns.  How they handle these issues will decide if I maintain my subscription.


The one scrubber I got removed a full mani on my right hand, and 3/5 of a mani on my left hand.  If my  box had the two that I was supposed to get then I would have been in the clear!  However I ended up spending 15 minutes looking through my house for some polish remover.  Ugh.

Over all I am not too happy with this box.  Depending how things go with Ipsy I just might cancel this box.  Also, it depends on how they deal with my customer service concerns.

UPDATE

Luxe Box called to follow up with my complaint, and were very understanding.  They offered me to have a free Luxe Box next season and guaranteed me the full sized So Susan Universal Blush!  It was framed as a choice between that and a Burt Bees Lip Gloss.  Buuuut I am a sucker for blush!  They did a great job handling my complaint.  I will be sticking around as a member :)

Did you order a Summer Luxe Box?  Did you get an upgrade?  How about any foil pack samples?

No comments:

Post a Comment