Birchbox Canada February | Unboxing & Review

Friday 20 March 2015

in

I like Birchbox, but I don't really like Birchbox, if you know what I mean.  I love the idea of Birchbox, but the actual product?  Blah.  I literally only stuck around for March because it came with a BeautyBlender.  I think I will stick around for April, but after that if the products are not up to par, I will be taking a break. And by a break I mean cancelling.  
My key frustration stems from the fact that Birchbox Canada was promised to be similar to the original, American Birchbox.  In the United States there are something like 90 different box configurations one could receive each month.  In Canada, there are literally four.  And items from January easily end up in February boxes.  (Speaking of boxes that are the same...).

Now, if each of those boxes had exciting brands that I wanted to try, I could deal.  However, their American branch has not brought their extensive brand partnerships forward to Canada.  I understand that they may have supply chain issues, but I find my boxes pretty sad.

I will give it until April, and then make a decision.  At least March comes with a BeautyBlender.


Now, on to my review.


Stuff


Gift card I will not use.


No4 Clarifying Shampoo

I actually really liked this shampoo.  I don't know if I liked it enough to purchase full size, but it smelled good, was thick, and worked up to a nice lather.  I did not notice any beneficial or any detrimental effects to my hair after use, which is fine. The in shower experience was lovely though!

Wish Exfoliating Body Wash

Smells like coconut.  Feels like sand.  Meh.

Cynthia Rowley Creamy Lip Stain

Another fine product.  The colour is pretty enough-- a brick orange.  Not the best colour on me, but not bad.  I like the texture and the wear time.  The product is not drying, but also does not have too much "slip" to it.  I could likely love this product in a dusty rose shade.

Art Club Nail Art

This feels a bit childish.  It makes small cute dots.  More purple than pink.  I don't know when I would ever use this.

Mèreadesso Moisturizer 

I am simply not interested in skin care products as I have a system that works for me.  Don't mess with the system.  I will probably pass this on to someone.  



Swatches of body wash and lip stain.

What do you think of Birchbox's Canadian expansion so far?  I hope that they are just having growing pains, and will soon transition to the company I know they can be.  Target, Birchbox, they need to realize that Canadians don't want "Canadian Target" or "Canadian Birchbox".  We want Target.  Or Birchbox.  We don't want a knock off of the good stuff-- we want the good stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment