My Scent Memory | Mr. Bubble Cologne Spray by the Demeter Fragrance Library*

Wednesday 7 October 2015

in

Mr. Bubble Cologne Spray by the Demeter

Recently I received this delightful scent as a part of the Canadian Beauty Bloggers Network.  The challenge?  Review this product, and post about a scent memory that I associate with it.  You mean I get to smell bubbles and have test it by spraying it around? OKAY!

I've seen other bloggers review Demeter sprays in the past and have always been curious about about them.  This is the first of their products that I have had the chance to try.

First, I want to tell you a little bit about Mr. Bubble: Born in 1961, after the Gold Seal Company found a way to make bubble baths affordable.  For over 50 years Mr. Bubble has been a top-selling bubble bath, making millions of childhood bath time memories.

I'm going to put it bluntly, this scent smells like nostalgia.  I don't know how they did it, but it both manages to be a sweet fruity scent when first sprayed, but with an entirely soapy end note (or sprayed near my face: after taste.).  Demeter's website describes it as having "notes of coconut, banana and peach.  A floral centre of jasmine and rose along with balsamic vanilla and powdery raspberry base".  My humble nose can not detect each of those fruity notes, but I can tell you it smells like a classic bubble bath.

Before I get into my scent memory with Mr. Bubbles, I wanted to share with you my first experience having a legitimate scent memory.  One day in high school I went to Sephora and grabbed a sample of a perfume I wanted to try.  I wore it on a date with my (then) boyfriend the next day and he loved it.  He ended up buying me the full sized bottle for Christmas and from then on I would wear it every time we were together because he loved it so much.  Fast forward to about a year later when we broke up.  The perfume sat alone and unloved because I didn't want to wear something that was "our thing". Fast forward again to the summer when my younger cousin sprayed it while we were hanging out in my room.  She said she loved it, but for me it just made me think of my (now long gone) ex-boyfriend.  Ick!  I wanted nothing to do with it.  I have been in a wonderful relationship for the last two and a half years with a guy who I love.  Why would I want a perfume that makes me think of somebody else?  So, I let my cousin take it.  Win-win!

Mr. Bubble Cologne Spray by the Demeter

Notice the bubbles in the background?  That's because after smelling this fragrance all day I decided that I simply had to have a nice warm bubbly bubble bath.  All in the name of blogging, right?

Now, back to Mr. Bubbles.  Upon first smell of this scent I was immediately brought back to sleep overs at my grandparents old house and having baths in their bath tub.  My grandma always seemed to have a bottle of that never quite ran out.  I remember the stickers I put all over their bathroom tiles, and the all important collection of L'Oreal Kids shampoos and conditioner, and of course the green kiwi scented detangler.  I remember the time I told my grandma I was going to grow out my bangs, and the collection of hair accessories I always kept at her place.  I remember always pouring "too much" bubble bath (#sorrynotsorry) and overflowing the bathtub.

It really is amazing how one smell can bring back so much.  I remember so many childhood memories I made in my grandma's bathroom, with her doing my hair in braids and pony tails, and the time I told her I was growing out both my bangs an my hair.  The smell of the Mr. Bubble scent brought back more than just memories of baths, it brought back memory of family time.

I think I am going to take to spraying this around the bathroom, or even over my sheets before I go to bed.  I don't think this is something I would want to wear as a perfume, just as a personal preference.  It has a reasonable wear time, and the soapy after note does fade with time.

Do you have a strong scent memory?  It doesn't have to just be with Mr. Bubble.  I would love to hear it!

xoxo happy bubbles!

This product retails for $20 USD /1oz or $39.50 USD/ 4 oz and can be purchased on Demeter's website.

This product was provided for my review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment